Saturday, September 8, 2012

Alternative Forms of Distribution

There are many forms of alternative app distribution. I would like to talk about a few of them here: the first one (one I like best) is SourceForge. SourceForge is an amazing site for distributing free software. You can upload your .apk file and you can also push your code to a repo using git if you choose to. You can even upload screenshots and provide other metadata such as description and icon. It creates several very nice pages for you, including: a summary page, code page, download page, and wiki page. Some examples are shown here: summaryfileswikicode. There is even a page for reviews! SourceForge is great and it is a wonderful distribution channel. Sign up at https://sourceforge.net/. Another thing you can do is: if you are already pushing your source code to SourceForge, you might as well go ahead and push it to github too. All you have to do is change the remote url and push again. e.g. git remote set-url origin https://brandonlnelson@github.blahblahblah.git, then git push origin master. You can take a look at my github projects here: https://github.com/brandonlnelson. There are a couple decent fileshares out there as well. I put some of my apps on 4shared and Uploaded. Another way to distribute your apps is through torrents. This could, potentially, work quite well, however you have to be able to seed well enough to spread the apk out there. Unfortunately, my internet sucks, so it doesn't work that well for me. If you make a torrent of your .apk, you can upload the torrent and post a screenshot/description on The Pirate Bay. Oh, I almost forgot, you can also paste your code on sites such as PasteBay and PasteBin. I'm trying to start a small dev group on PasteBay at http://android.pastebay.net, so check that out, if you would, please. It would be great if I could get some people to start sharing code on that sub-domain. Sort of a public/private kind of thing. A small inside group of developers brought together through means of public access, that is my goal. So, now you have several more distribution channels. Get to work, bitches. Hahaha. Just kidding. Hope this information is helpful to you all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are here, voluntarily, to make Android development a more achievable goal for all who perspire to become a real developer. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to e-mail me at brandonlnelson15@gmail.com. If I don't respond within a couple days, try again. I have a lot going on in my life right now and sometimes can't control nearly as much as I'd like to. Happy New Year Everyone!